Go to content
  • Who organises the creation of the tenancy agreement?

    Félagsbústaðir’s service consultants handle the rental agreements.

    If you have viewed the apartment you were allocated, you can book an appointment for signing the rental agreement Monday to Thursday from 9:00-15:00 and Friday from 9:00-14:00 by telephone at 520-1500.

  • Who should you contact concerning bad conduct or violation of house rules?

    If you live in housing where there is a violation of house rules, we would like to hear from you. Send us an e-mail, contact us on the online chat or call, and we will write the case down and respond as appropriate. We always want to know more rather than less.

  • Who is responsible for and pays for damage to Félagsbústaðir’s apartments?

    If you as a tenant or a party connected to you have caused damage, you are responsible and may have to pay repair costs. Damage caused by external factors, e.g. weather, natural disasters or unrelated parties, are the responsibility and cost of Félagsbústaðir.

  • Is it permissible to rent to tourists or other parties?

    The subletting of Félagsbústaðir’s apartments to tourists or other parties, for a longer or shorter period, in part or in full, is not permitted at all, according to the provisions of the rental agreements and the provisions of the Rental Act. Such subletting is also not in line with the purpose of the social assistance behind all the rental agreements of Félagsbústaðir, where fewer people receive assistance than want and need. In the event of a violation of this ban, the immediate termination of the contract can be expected. 

  • Who is responsible for maintenance of the area surrounding the buildings?

    Félagsbústaðir takes care of the area surrounding the buildings and the common areas in the apartment buildings that we fully own. The housing association in question takes care of the maintenance of the surrounding area and common areas where we own individual properties.

    If the apartment comes with a private garden, the tenant is responsible for general maintenance, i.e. mowing the lawn, clearing the flower beds and clipping trees so that the garden is tidy. The tenant may also have to take care of other types of joint obligations, e.g. cleaning of common areas and supervision of waste storage areas, subject to the approved rules of each housing association. If this is not done, Félagsbústaðir reserves the right to have this done at the tenant’s expense.

  • What should be done when terminating a rental agreement?

    If you are planning to move elsewhere, please let us know by e-mail. We will guide you through the next steps and when you will need to return the apartment. Please remember that you must empty the apartment and do a light cleaning before you return the keys to us.

  • Who handles the allocation of Félagsbústaðir apartments?

    A central team at the Reykjavík City Welfare Department decides who will be allocated Félagsbústaðir’s apartments. For further details, see here.

  • Am I entitled to housing benefits?

    Yes, in most cases, our tenants are entitled to housing benefits. Further information about applying for housing benefits and applications can be found on the website of the Housing and Construction Authority.

    Housing benefits are paid directly to Félagsbústaðir, and it is deducted from the rent. The same applies to the special housing support provided by the City of Reykjavík’s Welfare Department. 

    Individuals who are registered as single and live alone may also be entitled to a housing supplement. The grant is paid to the individual. Further information is available on the Social Insurance Administration website.

  • How often is the apartment painted?

    Apartments are usually painted every seven to eight years from the time tenants move in unless there are other reasons, e.g. damage, local conditions and more. Félagsbústaðir’s overseers decide if and when to paint. If you think it’s time to paint your apartment, please contact us and we will look into the matter.

  • Can tenants make changes to an apartment?

    In general, it is not permitted to make any changes to apartments without the permission of Félagsbústaðir. Of course, it is okay to hang pictures and other light objects on the walls.

  • Who should be contacted for projects carried out by the housing association where Félagsbústaðir is in the minority?

    If you are the representative of the housing association where Félagsbústaðir owns an apartment and construction is planned, please send us an e-mail. Most often, we follow the majority when it comes to approval for improvements and construction of common areas. If the housing association is responsible for the renovation and construction for each apartment, please send us information about the project description and costs by e-mail before construction begins. In response, we will send you a reply.

    All information concerning planned construction and meeting invitations for housing association meetings is requested to be sent by e-mail to us.

  • Do Félagsbústaðir mark parking spaces for each apartment?

    In the case of apartment buildings that are fully owned by the company, parking spaces are generally not marked for specific apartments. 

    Where Félagsbústaðir owns individual flats, the arrangement that is used in each place is followed according to the decision of that housing association.

  • Do Félagsbústaðir provide P-parking spaces and special signs for residents?

    Félagsbústaðir tries to ensure a sufficient supply of parking spaces based on the number of tenants with P-certificates and also for guests. 

    Special markings on P-parking spaces are subject to the Welfare Department’s assessment of the special needs of P-license holders, and this must be formally applied for to a social worker or the relevant service centre.

  • Do Félagsbústaðir provide assistance with moving, waste disposal or the like?

    No. If you think you have an urgent need or are entitled to financial or other assistance, please contact your social worker.

  • I received a letter from Motus; what does that mean?

    Motus collects rent that is in arrears on behalf of Félagsbústaðir.

    If the rent is still unpaid 28 days after the final due date, the rental claim will go to Motus for intermediate collection. The payer is given 7 days to complete the payment or reach an agreement. If rent is still unpaid 3 months from the final due date, legal collection is initiated with Lögheimtan, which can end with eviction. More information can be found on Motus’ payer website, Do not do nothing.

    At Motus, payers have been accommodated as much as possible and solutions have been found that contribute to a successful continued residence. 

  • Where do I look for information on payment of rent?

    Contact us by phone, online chat or by e-mail, and we will look into the matter with you.

  • What should I do if I want to get a pet animal?

    In general, Félagsbústaðir permits the keeping of animals on their property, but this is always subject to the consent of other residents in the relevant stairwell and the building’s housing association. It is necessary to obtain the written consent of 2/3 of the residents in the stairwell before you get an animal. 

    If you have received permission from other residents in the stairwell, it is necessary to apply for a permit for the animal and register with the City of Reykjavík. See more information about dog keeping and cat keeping

    As a result, you must take care that your pet does not cause danger, inconvenience or uncleanliness, or disturb the peace of your neighbours. Dog owners need to remove excrement from the dog immediately and raise the dog so that he does not bark when he is alone at home. Dogs must also not be free in common areas or areas surrounding the building and must be on a leash when they are coming or going from an apartment.

  • What do I do if I want to move to another building?

    You apply for a transfer at your service centre. All questions about transfers and the waiting time for moving to another apartment should be directed to the City of Reykjavík’s Welfare Department or to your service centre.

    If a transfer has been approved and you have been allocated another apartment, a process similar to the one you went through when you were first allocated an apartment takes over. You should call us and request a time to view your new apartment. If you agree to the new apartment, you will receive a booked time for signing the rental agreement. When moving, it is important to change your legal domicile as soon as possible, as well as renew applications for housing benefits and special housing support in accordance with the new address. 

    We also draw your attention to the fact that you have 5 working days to return your old apartment after you have received the new one.

  • What is the process that begins with repeated housing rules violations?

    In the case of a violation of housing rules, the tenant receives a written warning. If the tenant breaks the housing rules again, this can lead to the termination of the tenancy agreement and it will be requested that the apartment be vacated within a certain deadline. As a result, in most cases, a tenant receives a visit by a social worker from the service centre, where the recommendation is made that the tenant move out of the apartment. In some cases, a social worker can offer the tenant other remedies, and therefore, it is seldom necessary to resort to judicial processes and/or removal by the District Commissioner.

    If, on the other hand, the tenant refuses to vacate the apartment, an emergency case will be brought before the district court, and when this ruling is available, the case is referred to the District Commissioner with a request that he handle the eviction. Such a process can take some time and depends on the number of cases in process at the relevant agency at any given time.

  • What is included in the housing maintenance fee?

    It is different between apartment buildings what is included in housing maintenance fees. What is usually included in housing maintenance fees is heating; electricity; care of the garden, e.g. mowing and snow removal; garbage collection; and recycling. Sometimes cleaning is purchased as part of the housing maintenance fees, but otherwise the residents share the cleaning of the common area.

    If you want to know exactly what is included in the housing maintenance fee in your building, please contact us. 

  • Why did the amount on my rental invoice change this month?

    The rental price of apartments in Félagsbústaðir is index-linked, so rental prices can change slightly between months.

    If there was a significant change in the amount of the rental invoice, the reason may be a change in the amount of housing benefits or special housing support

    Please note that a detailed invoice will appear in your online banking. 

  • I received a warning; what does that mean?

    Warnings are sent to tenants following serious violations of housing rules. When we send a warning, we are in contact with social workers and/or other supporters who are involved with the tenant in question, and we always focus on giving the tenant the opportunity to improve their behaviour. In the event of repeated and serious violations of housing rules, the tenancy agreement may be terminated and a request may be made for the apartment to be vacated within a specified period. Some cases may lead to eviction. 

    If you have received a warning, carefully review its content and take into account what it says. Please contact us if anything is unclear. 

  • What is included in the service fee?

    Félagsbústaðir collects service fees for service apartments on behalf of the City of Reykjavík.

    These include round-the-clock monitoring, security system, management and office management, as well as cleaning of common areas and lounge facilities. 

  • What do I do if there are cars without license plates in the parking area next to my building?

    We try to ensure that cars without license plates do not block parking spaces for buildings that we own in their entirety. If you live in a building that we own all the apartments in, you can let us know about cars without license plates in parking areas by calling 520-1500 or by e-mail.

    If you live in a single apartment, talk to the housing association in the building where you live.

  • How can I obtain more keys to the apartment?

    If the apartment is in a building that Félagsbústaðir owns in full, we ask you to contact us. 

    If Félagsbústaðir does not own the building in full, i.e. in the case of a single apartment, the tenant goes to the locksmith themselves and requests the additional keys. 

    Tenants bear the cost of extra keys themselves. 

  • How can I get rid of clutter in the common area of my building?

    Housing rules state that rubbish should not be left in common areas, e.g. in the stairwell. If this is the case, we ask you to notify us by phone 520-1500 or by e-mail.

  • Can I attend the housing association meeting in my building?

    You can attend a housing association meeting in your building but note that you do not have the right to vote like other residents and owners of apartments in the building.

  • What do I do if my toilet is blocked?

    If traditional blockage clearing methods have not been sufficient, we suggest you contact us and we will resolve the issue.

  • Is there a common venue for tenants of Félagsbústaðir?

    Yes, Blokkin is the Félagsbústaðir tenants’ association. Further information can be found on their Facebook page.

  • How long do I have to wait for my message to be answered?

    We respond to all enquiries and submit them for processing within 24 hours or the next working day. The processing time of enquiries can vary according to their nature, e.g. depending on the nature of the repair request or the complexity of the communication problem in the house in which you live. You can be assured that we will process the case as soon as possible and will inform you of the situation as appropriate. 

  • Do I need to buy insurance if I am a tenant of Félagsbústaðir?

    As a tenant, you need to ensure your belongings yourself, if you choose to do so. Félagsbústaðir is not liable for any damage to household furniture.  The property as such is insured by Félagsbústaðir according to laws to that effect.

  • Can children over the age of 18 live with the tenant?

    Children of tenants who live with them and reach the age of 18 after the allocation of the premises may continue to live with the tenant after reaching the age of 18.